PLEASE NOTE: The 2023 Citizens Univer"City" Class is FULL. Those who apply will be placed on a wait list and contacted when the next class is scheduled.
The City of Seguin Citizens Univer"City" is a free, 10-week program designed to give residents a better understanding of how municipal government works. The program offers a series of interactive presentations, tours and demonstrations by city departments, giving participants a behind-the-scenes look at the inner workings of Seguin City government. This program is an excellent way for citizens to become better-informed, build positive relationships, increase communication between government officials and citizens, and inspire future municipal leaders and volunteers.
The 2023 Citizens Univer"City" will be held weekly from January 12 to March 9, 2023 on Thursday evenings from 6-8 pm.
The Citizen’s Univer"City" is offered at no charge and is open to anyone living in Seguin who is 18 years old or older. Class size is limited to 10 participants and registration is on a first come, first serve basis. Participants are expected to attend at least 8 of the 10 sessions to get the most out of the program and receive a Certificate of Completion at a graduation ceremony.
- Meet with Seguin City Council members, department heads and staff.
- Learn how decisions are made, how city funds are allocated and how departments operate.
- Enjoy comprehensive overviews of departments and programs and services.
- Discover the current status and future plans for Seguin's development, growth management, recreation and other topics.
- Expand their knowledge and become more informed on current issues and proposed projects within the City.
- Participate in lively discussions and other fun, interactive activities.
- Tour city facilities.
- Become a more informed, involved citizen.
Participants who complete the Seguin Citizens University, the Seguin Fire Department Citizens Fire Academy and the Seguin Police Department Citizens Police Academy will receive a Distinguished Citizen Award and be recognized during a City Council meeting.
Residents are encouraged to complete the Citizens University Application (below) as soon as possible. PLEASE NOTE: The 2023 Citizens Univer"City" Class is FULL. Applicants will be placed on a waitlist for a future class.
For more information, call 830-386-2590 or email the Public Information Officer.