Max Starcke Park West-Saffold Dam
Subfacility of Max Starcke Park
- Mill Dam
Named for William Saffold, who owned land here in the mid 1800's, Saffold Dam is typical of many mill dams built during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Originally a natural rock outcropping, the dam was first improved by Henry Troell in the late 1800's when he added rock to the dam to raise the water level to power a cotton gin. The City of Seguin bought Troell's property in 1907 to further develop the river's hydroelectricity, and subsequent improvements have led to the establishment of a hydroelectric plant on the dam's south side.