As of Friday, May 22, 2020, a total of 127 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Guadalupe County by the Department of State Health Services. A total of 23 positive tests have been confirmed in Seguin. Of those 23 cases, 7 are active cases and 16 cases have recovered. Of the 127 cases reported in Guadalupe County, there are 33 active cases and 94 cases have recovered. One patient is hospitalized.
We are instituting protocols within our various city departments out of an abundance of caution to limit public contact. Our goal is not to make things more difficult on our residents, but to help ensure the health and safety of our community. The situation with Coronavirus is very fluid. Therefore, this page will be updated as things change and new information becomes available. We encourage our residents to check back regularly to be sure they have the most up-to-date information available. We would also highly suggest that residents monitor the City’s Facebook page and our other social media channels.
What the City of Seguin is Doing
The City of Seguin is taking steps to deal with the health threat posed by the Coronavirus (COVID-19), including cleaning and disinfecting City facilities. A number of events, meetings and activities have been canceled, and we are continuing to share information about the virus from trusted public health agencies.
We are making some changes to our city facilities and services for the foreseeable future in order to promote the health and wellbeing of both our residents and staff. Below you will find a department-by-department list of changes.
ANIMAL SERVICES CENTER
The Animal Services Center is closed to the public. Animal adoptions and reclaims available by appointment only.
City Hall is open. Where feasible, the public is encouraged to conduct business with city staff through phone calls and emails rather than in person.
All meetings of City Boards and Commissions have been cancelled until further notice. City Council and Planning & Zoning will continue meeting as scheduled.
The Capital Projects/Egineering Department is closed to the public until further notice.
- Customers are able to access resources remotely via the City’s website at www.seguintexas.gov by clicking on the Capital Projects and Engineering webpage. A staff directory is available on the Capital Projects and Engineering webpage.
- A customer service representative for Capital Projects and Engineering is available at 830-401-2776 to direct calls to staff, answer questions, and provide additional information about remote access to the department’s resources.
CONVENTION & VISITORS BUREAU
The Seguin Convention & Visitors Bureau (Visitors Center) is closed until further notice. Open for appointments only by calling 830-401-2448. Visitor Information can be found in the racks on the outside of the Visitor Center at 116 North Camp Street.
The following events have been canceled or postponed:
- Food Truck Friday is canceled until further notice
DEVELOPMENT SERVICES CENTER
The Development Services Center is closed to the public until further notice.
- Customers are able to access services and resources remotely via the City’s website, www.seguintexas.gov by clicking on the Planning/Codes webpage. A staff directory is available on the Planning/Codes webpage.
- A customer service representative is available at 830-386-2230 to direct calls to staff, answer questions, and provide additional information about remote access to the department’s services.
- To schedule an appointment to meet with a staff member for services that cannot be provided remotely by phone, through e-mail or online, please call 830-386-2230.
- Requirements for garage sale permits are being suspended until further notice.
** NOTE: The 2% credit card processing fees are being temporarily waived to better assist our customers make payments over the phone.
Seguin Municipal Court will be closed to the public until further notice.
Fines/payments can be made:
• Over the phone at 830-401-2325
• In the secure drop box located by the front door
All dockets, court trials, court appearances and jury duty have been cancelled through April at Seguin Municipal Court. Court dates will be re-scheduled at a later time.
** NOTE: Service and convenience fees for online payments are being temporarily waived to better assist our customers
PARKS & RECREATION
The City’s parks and trails remain open, but citizens are expected to practice social distancing and have no more than 10 people in a group. Restrooms, ball fields, playgrounds, and basketball courts at all park facilities are closed until further notice, including the splash pad and MTR Skatepark at Park West.
All pavilion and athletic facility rentals in city parks are suspended until further notice. Customers will receive full refunds for all facility bookings impacted by this public health emergency.
The splash pad at Park West is closed until further notice.
- MTR Sktepark at Park West is closed until further notice.
- The Sebastopol House is closed until further notice.
- The Wave Pool will not open this year.
Seguin Little League, Seguin Youth Soccer League, the All Youth Sports League and the Seguin Volleyball League are suspending all games until further notice.
Starcke Park Golf Course is open to the public with tee times spaced out at 16 minute intervals. The Pro Shop is closed until further notice. Tee times can only be made by calling the Pro Shop at 830-401-2490. Tee time reservations will be limited to four or less golfers.
Water Recreation Reminders Along Starcke Park
Rivers and lakes have re-opened with proper social distancing requirements, however, the City of Seguin Parks & Recreation Department reminds citizens that recreational use of the Guadalupe River in Max Starcke Park is currently restricted in the designated "Restricted Safe Zone" by Court Order prompted by a spillgate failure on Lake Dunlap in fall 2019. Pole fishing from the riverbank is permitted, except near the City of Seguin Water Treatment Plant.
SEGUIN PUBLIC LIBRARY
The Seguin Public Library is currently closed.
Beginning Tuesday, May 26, the 1st floor of the library will re-open with the following new temporary hours:
•Monday – Friday 10am – 4pm
•Saturday 10am – 4pm
Based on Governor Abbott’s plan, the library is deemed an interactive, educational space, designed for collaborative use, therefore, the following changes have been implementedto maintain social distancing while enforcing sanitation guidelines. The 1st floor will be available for patrons to "Grab and Go" library materials. All seating will be removed from the 1st floor along with Children's iPads and computers.
- Only the 1st floor will be open, with occupancy of 51
- Curbside will still be available
- Laptop Lab will still be available
- Self-checkout will be encouraged
- All meeting spaces will not be accessible until further notice
- All seating removed
- 1st floor open to "Grab and Go"
- The Library is offering Curbside Pickup Service between 10 am and 2 pm, Monday through Friday. Customers may browse materials and request holds through the online catalog at https://seguin.biblionix.com/catalog/, by calling 830-401-2422 or by texting 830-549-4698.
- Once holds are placed, customers will be notified when the items are ready for pickup. Library staff will deliver materials to customers at curbside. Recommended safety measures such as sanitation of materials and social distancing will be in place during pick-up.
- Library staff will be answering the phones and responding to email and text messages Monday through Friday from 10 am to 2 pm. Library staff will be available for telephone reference, and to assist with online resources and library card issues. Send questions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by text to 830-549-4698 or by calling at 830-401-2422.
- In an effort to support families at home, the library will also be streaming story times and activities to be posted on social media.
- As always, the Digital Library is open 24/7 and accessible anywhere an Internet connection is available. Library customers can access a wealth of digital resources, including e-books, audiobooks, magazines and newspapers, and movies, from the library website at library.seguintexas.gov.
- For families needing Internet access, the library is providing WiFi availability from the parking lot.
- To learn more about the Seguin Public Library or any of its services, visit library.seguintexas.gov, call 830-401-2422, email email@example.com or text 830-549-4698.
SEGUIN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
The Seguin Economic Development Corporation is closed to the public until further notice. Our staff is still working and available to help you remotely - via phone, online and through email.
Our police officers are also taking proactive measures. Emergency/life threatening calls or "In Progress" calls for service to the Seguin Police Department will be handled in the same manner as always and will not change. Non-emergency/routine calls for service will be handled over the telephone, if at all possible. Officers responding to a residence will make every effort not to go inside unless it is absolutely necessary, and will be asking people to step outside when responding to calls for service. Officers will try to maintain a "social distance" of approximately 6 feet with persons they are interacting with. The presence of officers in the City will not change.
Effective immediately, the Seguin Fire Department is closed to the public. Station tours and public relations events are suspended until further notice. The Seguin Fire Department has implemented a process to screen patients when calls come into the 9-1-1 Center – which includes asking a series of questions prior to arriving on-scene, and wearing the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment if necessary to protect both the patient and the emergency technician.
In an effort to limit public contact during the COVID-19 situation, the City’s Utility Billing Office (UBO) is closed to the public.
Customers can utilize the following bill pay options:
- Send payment in the mail
- Pay at Utility Billing drive-thru window at City Hall
- Payments can be placed in the drop box located in the overflow parking lot across from City Hall on Mountain Street. The drop box is secure and checked daily by the Utility Billing staff. Please include the bill stub with payment that includes the utility account number.
- Set up automatic bank drafts
- Pay online using the City Hub Customer portal at www.seguintexas.gov
- Pay over the phone by calling the Utility Billing Office at 830-401-2460
** NOTE: Service and convenience fees for online payments are being temporarily waived to better assist our customers
New Utility Service
During this time, customers needing to set up accounts for utility service can do so over the phone by calling 830-401-2460. Appointments can also be scheduled. Customers can also fill out a new service application online by clicking here, scan it or take a photo of it and email it along with the required documentation (copy of lease/rental agreement or proof of ownership and copy of valid driver’s license or Texas identification card) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deposits for new service can be made over the phone at 830-401-2460.
All disconnects and late fees for non-payment of utility accounts are temporarily suspended. Customers can complete the online form to terminate service by clicking here and emailing the form to email@example.com
Based on the current COVID-19 situation, the City is willing to work with customers on flexible payment arrangements based on their specific needs on a case by case basis. Customers can call 830-401-2460 for assistance.
UTILITY OPERATIONS CENTER
The City’s Utility Operations Center is closed to the public and to vendors. Please make contact via email and telephone.