Permits and Inspections
NOW LOCATED AT THE DEVELOPMENT SERVICES CENTER: 108 E. MOUNTAIN ST
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC
DEVELOPMENT SERVICES CENTER
CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC BEGINNING
MONDAY, MARCH 23
Our staff will still be on-site to serve you remotely.
Customers are able to access services and resources remotely via the City’s website, www.seguintexas.gov by clicking on the Planning/Codes Department web page. Customers can also directly contact department staff by phone or email. A staff directory is available on the Planning/Codes Department web page.
A customer service representative will be available at 830-386-2230 to direct calls to staff, answer questions, and provide additional information about remote access to the department’s services.
To schedule an appointment to meet with a staff member for services that cannot be provided remotely by phone, through e-mail or online, please call 830-386-2230.
** Requirements for garage sale permits are being suspended until further notice.
** NOTE: The 2% credit card processing fees are being temporarily waived to better assist our customers make payments over the phone.
The City of Seguin has recently adopted amended building permit fees based on square footage due to recent legislation (House Bill 852: Determining the amount of certain building permit and inspection fees) passed during the 86th Texas State Legislative Session.
The amended fee list is provided below.
Amended Fee List-June 2019
(click on link to view new fee schedule)
Chief Building Official
What We Do
• Pre-Construction Meetings
• Enforce Building Codes
• Floodplain Permits and Inspections
Codes in Effect
The City of Seguin has adopted the following Codes:
- 2011 National Electric Code – Adopted by the State of Texas
- 2015 National Fire Protection Code
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Building Code
- City Flood Ordinance and FEMA Guidelines
- Seguin Unified Development Code
Do I Need a Permit?
In order to to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, roof, re-roof or change the occupancy of a building or structure or install a fence, an application shall be made to the Building Official in order to obtain the required permit for the work. The licensed contractor for the project must submit the building permit application and building plans for review. Property owners that own and occupy a residence as their homestead can submit an application for a permit in they conduct the the work themselves (see Seguin Code of Ordinances, Section 18-34).
The following work does not require a permit:
- Minor repairs to a person’s residence*
- Siding Installation
- Work on a homestead may be done by the property owner with the proper permits and in accordance with all required codes and city ordinances. The house must be owned AND occupied by the property owner and must be registered as the property owner's homestead with the Guadalupe County Appraisal District. If you hire out any phase of the building process, the contractor must be licensed with the City of Seguin.
Garage Sale Permits
Having a garage sale? A permit is required. To get a permit, bring $5.00 and proof of address (Driver’s License or utility bill) to the Building Inspection Department located at the Development Services Center at 108 E. Mountain Street. Permits are issued the same day Monday - Friday.
How Do I Apply?
Permit applications and fee information are available here. Applications for building permits are made at the Building Inspection Department located at 108 E. Mountain Street.
- If you have any questions, the Building Inspection staff will be glad to assist you.
*Application for Electric, Water and Wastewater are to be completed by a licensed contractor and should accompany the building permit application.
- Apply online or search for active permits through our Citizen Portal.
2019-2020 Contractor Continuing Education Program Schedule
Permitted work must be performed by a City of Seguin Licensed Contractor.
How to Obtain a Contractor’s License
Click here for a step-by-step guide to online testing through Pearsonvue.
Click here for more information on trade licenses.
Applications and Fees