Permits and Inspections
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC
The City of Seguin is currently unable to provide approval to issue any residential building permits. Applications for permits will continue to be accepted for review purposes only. Due to recent legistation (House Bill 852: Determining the amount of certain building permit and inspection fees) passed during the 86th Texas State Legislative Session, City staff is amending the fee schedule associated with residential building permits to comply with the new requirements. Staff is working diligently on this matter. Once a new fee schedule is developed and approved by City Council, the public will be notified. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Chief Building Official
What We Do
• Pre-Construction Meetings
• Enforce Building Codes
• Floodplain Permits and Inspections
**Permit Counter Hours**
The Permits and Inspections counter is open to the public from 9 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
Codes in Effect
The City of Seguin has adopted the following Codes:
- 2011 National Electric Code – Adopted by the State of Texas
- 2015 National Fire Protection Code
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Building Code
- City Flood Ordinance and FEMA Guidelines
- Seguin Unified Development Code
Do I Need a Permit?
In order to to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, roof, re-roof or change the occupancy of a building or structure or install a fence, an application shall be made to the Building Official in order to obtain the required permit for the work. The licensed contractor for the project must submit the building permit application and building plans for review. Property owners that own and occupy a residence as their homestead can submit an application for a permit in they conduct the the work themselves (see Seguin Code of Ordinances, Section 18-34).
The following work does not require a permit:
- Minor repairs to a person’s residence*
- Siding Installation
- Work on a homestead may be done by the property owner with the proper permits and in accordance with all required codes and city ordinances. The house must be owned AND occupied by the property owner and must be registered as the property owner's homestead with the Guadalupe County Appraisal District. If you hire out any phase of the building process, the contractor must be licensed with the City of Seguin.
Garage Sale Permits
Having a garage sale? A permit is required. To get a permit, bring $5.00 and proof of address (Driver’s License or utility bill) to the Building Inspection Department on the second floor of City Hall. Permits are issued the same day Monday - Friday.
How Do I Apply?
Permit applications and fee information are available here. Applications for building permits are made at the Building Inspection Department at City Hall.
- If you have any questions, Building Inspection staff will be glad to assist you.
*Application for Electric, Water and Wastewater are to be completed by a licensed contractor and should accompany the building permit application.
- Apply online or search for active permits through our Citizen Portal.
Permitted work must be performed by a City of Seguin Licensed Contractor.
How to Obtain a Contractor’s License
Click here for a step-by-step guide to online testing through Pearsonvue.
Click here for more information on trade licenses.
Applications and Fees