City Kicking-Off Inaugural Citizens University
SEGUIN, Texas – Residents of Seguin will have an opportunity to get a behind-the-scenes look at the inner-workings of city departments and services when the City of Seguin kicks-off its first Citizens University in January 2023.
Open to anyone 18 years of age or older who lives in Seguin, the 10-week Citizens University program will give residents a better understanding of how their municipal government works. The course includes a series of interactive presentations, tours and demonstrations by city departments.
PLEASE NOTE: The 2023 Citizens University Class is FULL. Those who apply will be placed on a waitlist and contacted when the next class is scheduled.
“This program is an excellent way for citizens to become better-informed, build positive relationships, increase communication between government officials and citizens, and inspire future municipal leaders and volunteers,” said Jennifer Sourdellia, the City’s Public Information Officer. “We’re looking forward to the opportunity to educate residents about the City and provide a bigger picture of how city operations impact our community,” she continued.
The 2023 Citizens University will be held January 12 to March 9, 2023 on Thursday evenings from 6-8 pm.
The Citizen’s University is offered free of charge. The class is limited to 10 participants and registration is on a first come, first serve basis. Participants are expected to attend at least 8 of the 10 sessions to get the most out of the program and receive a Certificate of Completion at a graduation ceremony.
Program participants will:
- Meet with Seguin City Council members, department heads and staff.
- Learn how decisions are made, how city funds are allocated and how departments operate.
- Enjoy comprehensive overviews of departments and programs and services.
- Discover the current status and future plans for Seguin's development, growth management, recreation and other topics.
- Expand their knowledge and become more informed on current issues and proposed projects within the City.
- Participate in lively discussions and other fun interactive activities.
- Tour city facilities.
- Become a more informed, involved citizen.
Participants who complete the Seguin Citizens University, the Seguin Fire Department Citizens Fire Academy and the Seguin Police Department Citizens Police Academy will receive a Distinguished Citizen Award and be recognized during a City Council meeting.
More information about the program, including a detailed schedule and application is available online at https://bit.ly/seguincitizensuniversity
Because space is limited, residents are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Application deadline is January 1, 2023. For more information, call 830-386-2590 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #